Wednesday, June 29, 2016

Tomorrow Gage will be one year old.  Tomorrow will be a day for celebrating him.  One year ago today though was the scariest day of my life.  It started out great.  I went to the doctor, was released from bed rest, and that night Chris and I worked in the nursery.  Then I woke up about 2:00 in the morning to bleeding.  Lots, and lots, and lots of bleeding.  More blood than I have ever seen in my life.  I knew what that meant and how serious it was.  Of the many things to be thankful for that night,   one was that my doctor, Dr. Richardson, was on call.  He knew all about my situation and didn't have to be filled in.   He knew to take me seriously when I said it was a lot of blood.  He had his entire surgical team on the way to the hospital as soon as he hung up the phone after Chris called to tell him what was going on.  He had already ordered blood for me and had it waiting on me when I got there. He met us at the entrance to the hospital, rode up in the elevator with us, stayed with me every second.  As soon as he heard the heartbeat on the doppler, I saw the relief on his face that mirrored the relief I felt.  The whole way to the hospital I prayed.  The closer we got and the more I felt like I might pass out, I prayed in time with the emergency flashers - please God, please God, please God.  I figured God knew what I was begging, for Gage to be okay, for me to make it through everything to be there for all three of my babies.  Gage had always moved constantly in my belly, but he never moved once from the time I woke up until after Dr. R found his heartbeat with the doppler.  I can't explain how I felt when I heard his heartbeat.  It was a relief of course, but more than that I could feel God's peace and His reassurance that he was with me and Gage and everything was going to be okay.  After that I was totally at peace through everything.  The preparations for the c-section, the first spinal not working and having to get a second one, Gage being whisked away so quickly after birth, being moved to another hospital, even through his month long nicu stay.  I felt that peace and reassurance.  There are many things that lined up perfectly in our favor that night.  In Dr. Richardson's words - Gage is a miracle who shouldn't even be here.  I hope and pray that I will always remember that and be thankful for the blessing that Gage is to us, and that he will grow up to feel a close connection with our God and allow Him to guide his life as he so obviously guided him into this world.

3 comments:

  1. That is one of the sweetest accounts of God's goodness and protection that I have ever read!! Thanks for sharing! Our family is blessed in so many ways and Gage is certainly a much-loved and treasured "miracle baby". We Love you!!!
    Aunt Mary Ann

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been blessed with that sense of peace also that you received that day. It can only be explained by an overwhelming calm that takes control of your mind and body. God had already planned on Gage coming into this world that day....and He had paved the way for him. I have discovered that our journeys are there to draw us closer to Him. If not for them....would we be praying hard....calling out His name praying for Him to help us ? Prob not....I'm just so happy that Gage is here with 10 toes and 10 fingers and is such a happy baby.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bec that is a wonderful account of Gods Goodness! God works miracles! I am so happy he is a year old! Love on that baby everyday!! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete