Monday, September 21, 2015

No dairy or soy :(

We found out three weeks ago that Gage has a milk/soy protein allergy like Ella had.  Since I'm breastfeeding, that means I have to eliminate all dairy and soy from my diet.  Ella outgrew hers at 9 months, so I am crossing my fingers Gage outgrows his sooner rather than later.  ๐Ÿ˜

We had a doctor appointment today to check his weight since three weeks ago when he was diagnosed we were still giving him bottles of pumped milk supplemented with neosure formula about half the time.  We needed to be sure that he would continue to gain weight well after moving exclusively to breastfeeding and taking away the supplemental formula that increased the calories of my milk.  He weighed 9 pounds!  He's gained more than an ounce a day since that appointment three weeks ago.  He's also grown 3/4 of an inch!  The doctor said she could not be more pleased with his weight gain, and she was super impressed he was doing so well with breastfeeding.  She said preemies usually have such a hard time with breastfeeding and to be completely off supplemental bottles at this point is awesome.  I told her I've been worried about making breastfeeding work since we first started feeds in the hospital with bottles.  I've prayed about it and tried not to worry too much, and Gage is now breastfeeding like a champ.  It is his favorite thing to do.  ๐Ÿ˜‰

12 weeks old, 3 weeks adjusted and he's doubled his birth weight.  Grow Gage grow!  ๐Ÿ˜Š

2 comments:

  1. That's great Rebecca, both of my boys were preemie and could not latch at all Chris didn't even have the suck reflex so he had major issues so its great that Gage is doing so well

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Natasha! I'm thrilled he's done so well.

      Delete